Our Beneficiary: United Way of Brevard
- Proceeds of Corporate 5k have been donated to United Way of Brevard for 5 years!
- Find out what the United Way of Brevard is up to and how you can help in our community.
Why we selected United Way
Florida Today our title sponsor requested this wonderful organization be the beneficiary of this event. We couldn’t agree more!
United Way isn’t just helpful to communities, it’s crucial. When it comes to the financial stability, education and health of your neighborhood, your United Way is working to figure out what our community needs and make real change.
Your investment inspires us to go beyond “what is” and strive for what our community can and should be. Our goal is to create long-lasting changes by addressing the underlying causes of these problems. That’s why our work will focus on the building blocks of a good life – Education, Income and Health. Our community wins when kids succeed in school, adults can secure a good job, manage their finances, and provide a healthy environment for their families.
Together, through United Way, the contributions of thousands of individual donors become a force for change in the community. We can inspire hope and create opportunities for a better tomorrow. That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED.
Here are some highlights of their work in Education, Income and Health:
EducationUnited Way is working on strategies to help close the 3rd Grade Reading Achievement Gap:
- Access to thousands of digital books with Lexile® assessments and growth forecasting
- 7 schools currently have access
- 60,000+ books read
Pilot Mentoring Program
- Establishing positive role models for at-risk youth
- 30 Mentors
- 120 Students
Summer Reading Loss Prevention
- Created an awareness campaign: “Tag In” – our teachers are ‘tagging out’ for the summer and parents must tag in – a partnership with Brevard Public Schools
- 38,000 summer reading loss prevention booklets sent home with elementary school kids
- 11 week multimedia campaign
IncomeUnited Way is helping people become financially stable
- 574 people attended financial literacy classes
- 2,305 tax returns completed with a $2.5M impact
- 2,966 people helped with SNAP worth $2.4M
HealthUnited Way is working to make our community healthier
Child Abuse Prevention
- Healthy Families is currently helping 168 families prevent child abuse and neglect, and promoting healthy child development.
- Nearly 15,000 weekend backpack meals have
been distributed thanks to our partnership with
- The Children’s Hunger Project.
Feed and Read Program
- Cross promotional strategy to address summer hunger and reading loss
- 1,100 children benefited
- 16 sites where kids receive a new book each week, eat lunch as part of the Summer BreakSpot program, take home a backpack meal if needed,and receive help reading with trained mentors
Find Out More